Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Grandpa and the little birdie

Tuesday morning, when your dad was just drove the car out from the carport, I found a little bundle of feathers that turned out to be a little bird on the floor. It was under the car and thankfully untouched when your dad pulled the car out (I could not imagine the mess if it got smashed by the wheels). I tried to put a newspaper to cover it, so that the cold morning air would not affect it so much, but it refused to be covered. I just left it there and went in.
About 2pm in the afternoon, your grandpa and aunt came. I told them about the little bird and we found it on the dirt below the chili plant. Grandpa scooped it with his hand and gave him trickles of water from the tap to drink with his fingers. Both your aunt and I were pretty touched to see this soft side of him. Then he drove to a nearby shop to buy some bananas for the bird to eat. Your aunt and I fed the bird with smashed banana. We put it on the mineral water card box with some branches and leaves for it to nest. It still looked pretty healthy when your dad came home. He also tried to feed the bird some bananas. Anyway, I found it dead when I wanted to feed it this morning. I was pretty upset to see the little bundle of feathers lying there, motionless inside the box. No more happy chirps, just a deadly silence.

Tonight, a new maid came from a little town in Central Java. She was quite old (her eldest son is 21 years old) and very inexperienced. She never worked as a maid before. She was polite and quite nice. I hope hard that our relationship will be well and long-lasting.

No comments: