Friday, June 30, 2006

First days – The new beginning

Dearest Son,

You started your journey in the world in the early hours on Monday. After the labor, both of us were brought into our room at about four or five a.m. then Daddy and the cheering squad (grandparents and aunts) went home. In the stillness of the morning, I thanked God profusely while looking at you sleeping peacefully in the small plastic cot next to my bed. I fell in love. Deeply.

You cried a few times before the sun rises, after a while, a nurse came to take you to the baby room. She would take care of you while I took my much needed rest. I slept for about twenty minutes or so then Daddy woke me up. He came at about 6 pm, dropping by on his way to the office. Feeling tired and very sleepy, he slept for a while on the chair.

Then just before he went to the office, we took you out from the baby room. The three of us spent our first sweet minutes alone together as a family in the hospital room.The first day, we had a stream of visitors coming in. Two of your aunts stayed with me in the hospital that day, taking care of you while I slept. I spent the exciting day still in haze and disbelief that the little bundle we had waited for so long had finally come out!

Your dad stayed in the hospital for the first night. He slept uncomfortably sitting on the single seated couch. When I nursed you at three in the morning, I asked him to sleep on my bed while I nursed you on the couch. He agreed and slept for a good two hours! After putting you back on your plastic cot near the bed, I took pictures of the two very special guys in my life sleeping.
You went home on Wednesday, in your grandfather's car, together with your grandparents and aunt Yen. Daddy and I drove behind. I was excited yet very nervous.

Maybe a feeling I shared with all new mothers in the world, uh?

Love you, Son!
Mommy

No comments: